Os Hillman writes, “I HAVE STUDIED THE lives of change agents and have observed, both in my life and in the lives of other change agents, six unique stages God often takes His change agents through in their spiritual pilgrimage toward becoming a change agent. I have personally gone through each of these changes in my own life.
1. Divine circumstances: God initiates a personal encounter with the change agent, often through a personal crisis.
2. Character development: God takes the change agent through a series of character tests designed to develop humility and trust.
3. Isolation period: A time of separation from past dependencies realigns values to a biblical economy.
4. Personal cross: God brings the change agent to experience his or her personal cross.
5. Problem solvers: Change agents become problem solvers through invention and entrepreneurship.
6. Networks: Change happens as a small number of change agents band together.”
Hillman, Os (2011-08-09). Change Agent: Engaging Your Passion to Be the One Who Makes a Difference (p. 48). Charisma House. Kindle Edition.